ARTS AND HUMANITIES|
4th and 5th graders participated in the annual Harold Charney Children's Poetry Festival on Saturday, April 26th, at the Mary Glass Performing Arts Center.
- Emily Jones: 1st Place Winner, recited "Sick" by Shel Silverstein. Emily received a $50 gift certificate. The 10-year-old is the daughter of Craig and Becky Jones of Broken Arrow.
- Melisa Long: 2nd Place Winner, recited "Grandpa's Spectacles". Melisa received $35 gift certificate. She is the daughter of Tim and Julie Long of Owasso.
- Emily James: 3rd Place Winner, recited "Last Chance for the Big Purple Dog" by Von Rosenberg. Emily received a $20 gift certificate. She is the daughter of Mike and Cindy James of Owasso.
35 5th graders from around Tulsa County participated in the 7th Annual Harold Charney Poetry Festival for Children on April 28, 2007, at the Mary Glass Performing Arts Center at the Owasso High School.
- Telara Day: 1st place and winner of $50, recited "True Story" by Shel Silverstein
- Hailey Warner: 2nd place and winner of $35, recited "Sick" by Shel Silverstein
- Hannah Gwinner: 3rd place and winner of $20, recited "Flossing Grandpa Style" by Bob Tucker
- Ian Murray: Honorable Mention; recited "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park"
- Marina Pendleton: 1st place who recited part of Paul Revere's Ride by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Maggie Tirrell: 2nd, Foreign Lands by Robert Louis Stevenson
- Megan Stark: Tied for 3rd, who recited Floradora Doe by Jack Prelutsky
- Maddie Cates: Tied for 3rd, Little Abigail and the Beautiful Pony by Shel Silverstein.
Heather Ryan, Theresa Brecker & Emma Jane Pendleton
1st Place: Emma Jane Pendleton
Top Placement Winners
Sharlee Kuhns, Barbara Barnes & Harold Charney
Poetry Books on Display
Harold and Yolanda Charney
Harold Charney's Birthday Cake
The goal of the festival is to nurture the love of poetry in children.
- Beverly Arnold, Poetry judge
- The Charney Family
- Hispano de Tulsa, media sponsor
- Mid High Honor Society
- Todd Murray and his speech students
- Sharlee Kuhns, Poetry judge
- Owasso Arts and Humanities Council
- TulsaKids, media sponsor
- Tulsa City-County Library, festival sponsor
- Tulsa Library Trust, festival sponsor
The Arts and Humanities Council of Owasso, Inc. has been instrumental in hosting the Charney Poetry Festival at the Owasso Performing Arts Center since its construction: setting up for the event, providing volunteers to staff the event, and donating poetry books to the Owasso Regional Library. AHCO has also aided in the hosting of the event at the Martin Regional Library, performing many of the same responsibilities.
To help, contact Barbara Barnes at the Owasso Regional Library, 591-4566, to volunteer at the event by setting up, timing performances, evaluating the performances, serving refreshments, or donating refreshments or funds.
More information: Tulsa City-County Library website
Top of Page
Arts & Humanities Council of Owasso
PO Box 2104 Owasso, OK 74055
Web Address: www.owassoarts.com
Copyright 2001-08 by Arts & Humanities Council of Owasso
Web Development & Web Design copyright 2001-08 by
member Gilda Krantz-Smith & Snowhawk
Hosting & Promotional Services provided by Owasso.com
E-mail | Phone: (918) 808-0224